Award in the Application of Rubber Dam
|Course title: Award in the Placement of Rubber Dam
|This course is aimed at dental nurses who wish to assist in dental procedures by placing rubber dam.
|Endorsed by: DELTA Awards
|Structure: The course is delivered by way of two modules.
|Grading: Pass or fail
|Pre-requisites: Candidates must be working in a dental surgery environment.
|Course fee: £100.00 – Including VAT at 20%.
This course is assessed by:
Candidates must achieve a pass in all assessments.
|Resit arrangements: Candidates can receive a small course extension to amend or change any information as required.
Candidates get two attempts at the online multiple choice questions.
|Guided Learning Hours:
This programme is 20 Guided Learning Hours (GLH)
|Course length: 6 weeks
|Credits: This course attracts 2 credits
|GDC Scope of Practice- Extended Duties for Dental Nurses
Patient consent and communication
Indications for the use of rubber dam
Technique and Instrumentation
|Components of the rubber dam kit
The procedure and techniques for placement
|2 short essay questions
Multiple choice test
|Two extended case studies
Multiple choice test
Multiple Choice Questions
At the end of the module, candidates will be required to pass a short multiple choice test on all subjects covered. This is 15 minutes in duration and consists of 12 questions. It can be taken at anytime on course completion, and is done online. Candidates get one resit opportunity should they not attain 75% on their first attempt. If the second attempt is also unsuccessful, this will result in a fail for the whole course.
The candidate will:
- Understand their responsibilities as a GDC registrant with regard to the placement of rubber dam
- Understand the importance of gaining informed consent
- Recognise complications associated with rubber dam and how to manage them
- Identify the components of a rubber dam kit
The candidate can:
- Get appropriate informed consent for the treatment
- Demonstrate good patient management
- Act appropriately in the event of any complications which may arise
- Competently place rubber dam
- Work within their limitations and scope of practice